Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Little Boy's Treasures

Howie is *Star of the Week* at kindergarten.  

Each day he gets to share a little treasure of his life with his class.  
Tomorrow he gets to bring in his favorite toy to show his buddies.  

When I read the paper, I was already guessing what he might consider taking: 
Legos, his Perplexis, a favorite football... 

What did my little boy have in mind?  



He has insisted that he takes this dirty, old golf ball he found in our yard.  

I'm certain it truly belongs to the former owners, 
but I'm guessing they have moved on and do not want it anymore.  
He has all these really great toys (thanks to grandparents and birthdays), but he 
really, really, really wants to bring this golf ball to school.  

"Why?" I ask.

He replies, "Because I found it."

(Pause)
Doesn't that sum up childhood... 
finding things that you didn't expect to come along and then savoring them, 
no matter their worldly value?

So I put aside my Type A personality of perfection and 
help him pack the backyard treasure in his backpack.  

And he is giddy.

No comments: