Friday, March 15, 2013

Making Time Count

We walked into the local elementary school building this afternoon and 
asked for a kindergarten registration packet.  
Gulp.  Deep breathe.  Smile.  
When did my baby get to be so big?  
It was all I could to resist the urge to rip up the papers and declare he would 
stay home with me forever as we left out of the parking lot.  

This upcoming new stage in Howie's life got me thinking... how well do I know my kid?  Am I spending the days wisely with him?  Is he really not going to be with me forever?  Big reality check.  

Where do I start with making the days count?  

My small step in a call to action was making a dish of questions for our dining table.  
Each night, we get to pick one question and talk about it.  
The questions are things like:
What is your favorite color?
What do you think is the best job in the whole world?
What is your favorite dinner food?
Name one thing you did today that was nice for someone.
What is your phone number? 
(I want him to be able to call me when he is big and left the nest!!)

We had a ball doing this last night as we answered the question, "What is your favorite Bible story?" and it felt good to be intentional about spending time together.  

What is the saying... the days are long, but the years are short...?



No comments: