Sunday, February 12, 2012

Grandma Sue

Our sweet Grandma Sue suffers from Alzheimer's. She has been in a care unit for over four years and is unable to verbally communicate with others or care for herself. The moments we spend with her are spent giving her kind touches and telling her that we love her. Today I saw her and I talked about all the fun things she did with me when I was little. We made paper-mache dinosaurs and spent weeks at the Michigan lake house. She read books to us on tape and I still cherish her neat handwriting inside the book covers to indicate which tape and which side the story can be found.
Although it is sad to see her fade away, it is sweet to watch my Grandfather care for her. He is there almost every day to feed her and watch over her care. He talks to her casually and genuinely enjoys her company. It cannot be easy for him, but he never complains. It's as if their relationship has simply evolved to accommodate this final stage of life. And I think that is true love.

No comments: